Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I run because I like to inflict pain upon myself...

Still listening to Automatic for the People by R.E.M.

I sat in the small conference room feeling a little nervous.

I had been working at the Tutwiler Hotel in Birmingham, AL for 3 months. In another 5 months I would be married to a wonderful wife. To be honest, I was sure that she and I would be able to get by on my hourly wage of $9.25 [if you don’t want to do the math $19.4k/yr] at the Tutwiler. Even so, it was worth the try to interview for a new job.

I had a lot of experience in interviewing, I thought. I had interviewed unsuccessfully for 5 or 6 jobs before attaining the position of “Guest Service Agent” at the Tutwiler. My people skills were honed by the daily interaction I had with various guests from various places. I was ready for the questions.

“So what are some of your goals?” “I want to run a marathon within the next five years.”

That was a little over 2 years ago. A little over 2 weeks ago I sat at my desk with a nervous apprehension. Doubts flooded my mind. Fear flooded my heart. With a rash click of a button I did it – I signed on to run the Mercedes Marathon in Birmingham on Feb. 11, 2006. I’ve never run 26 miles all at once, but I will.

This blog is about the journey there and beyond. This blog will be about my successes and failures. My hope is to bring you a little into my eccentric world – to encourage you, to inspire you, and have you laugh with me.

I’ve bought my subscription to Runner's World I’ve set my training schedule. I’ve learned how to induce a bowel movement before a run. I’m learning how to be a better runner.

A few updates about where I’ve been and where I am going.

On September 30, I set a PR [personal record for you non-runners] in the 5k. More than that I was the top runner out of my age group of 25-29 [they split the results in the Twenty’s category]. My time was 24:07 for the 3.1 mile run which put me at a 7:47 pace. I won a free dinner for my wife and myself at Landry’s. Yummy nummy!

In a race, the two most difficult sections for me are the beginning and the end. I always [always] start off too fast which puts way too much strain on me at the very beginning. The finish is difficult because I hate it when people are passing me to the finish line. Especially when those people are young females who aren’t even at the legal age of driving an automobile.

Regardless – I received an awesome shirt [probably the best shirt I’ve ever gotten for a race], a cool water bottle, and dinner for me and my woman.

I spent the weekend running in Vail, CO. I didn’t even bother timing myself. My days there were mixed in spending time with family, running up forever-long hills, hiking, and taking pictures.

Tonight I ran a three miler. Tomorrow I’m set to do some speed work. I am dreading tomorrow because speed work is hard.

4 comments:

B. Prentiss said...

Can you give us a few more details on the bowel movement inducement??

Jason Harmon said...

dang it... brian stole my joke.
I hope it doesnt follow similar protocol as vomit induction.

Amanda said...

Good for you, Gene! I can't imagine EVER running 26 miles at one time. I bet it sucks. But you're going to do great, I'm sure. And congrats on the PR! That's really impressive.

I am also curious about inducing bowel movements. Please expound.

G. Twilley said...

Wait and see all...I'll have a post up soon...