Monday, October 30, 2006

3 miles into the night...

You can check out my run here. I've never really run listening to music before [tonight]. Not too long ago, I thought it was a pretty unsafe and impractical practice. I read a recent Runner's World, however, and read from the pens of fellow runners that it's really not unsafe or impratical at all. So equipped with an arm band I purchased for less than $10 off of eBay [yes, this is after shipping] I strapped on my iPod mini [yes, I'm a little more old school in the ways of the iPod] and headed out into the dark of night. One of the benefits of music is that I'm not put into a position where I feel like I have to keep thinking, or planning, or praying - I can just relax while I run for a bit. Furthermore, it creates a bit of a cadence by which I can run [even if that cadence is a little faster than I thought it was initially]. I used to love music in college, but with so many things [like writing poetry, like playing and writing music, like dreaming...really dreaming] I stopped loving music like I did. Tonight reminded me why music is so wonderful. Life's wonderments are so often described by song - for every celebration, for every mourning, for every delight and every despondence we have a song. Running with music - the way it enhances the lonliness I feel on these city streets and keeps me searching for something just beyond my vision - is worth the extra weight. I'll add links and songs at the end of the blog - if you see one you like you can purchase it through the links at amazon.com for [as I've found] very reasonable prices. Today's Run: 3.15 miles Time: 26.59 / 8:34 per mile Prescribed Distance for 10k Training: 3 miles Prescribed Time: hr 28min 54sec / 9:38 per mile 3 Miler Playlist 1. Enya: A Day Without Rain - A Day Without Rain 2. Red Mountain Church: The Gadsby Project - Come Boldly to the Throne of Grace 3. Hem: Eveningland - The Beautiful Sea 4 & 5. The Postal Service: Give Up - We Will Become Silhouettes & Such Great Heights [respectively] 6. U2: War - New Year's Day 7 & 8. Weezer: Blue Album - My Name is Jonas & The World has Turned and Left Me Here[respectively]

No comments: