Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Just under 4

[Check out my run here] Someone told me that I really need to watch out for other people when I run in the city at night. A lot of my runs take me to the north side of town, which seems a little more forboding considering that there are no businesses [or relatively few] that are open there at night. There's some validity in that. When you take a look at the FBI's highest crime rates for cities, Birmingham ranks at number 6 [at least Alabama is excelling in one area!]. Still, I'd much rather be running on city streets than on county roads. I'll take my chances against another man - I don't have much of a chance against a car. Furthermore, there are lots of lights in the city. There are very few where I grew up [the burbs of Huntsville]. There are no sidewalks where I grew up. There aren't as many familiar faces there either...not until someone dies. At the very least, I do have some serious looking eyebrows - those usually work to fend off any miscreant hosts of the city. Not to mention the fact that I have physics on my side against another man - the force of my fist in front of 200 pounds of flesh moving at approximately 7mph. I figure 10 at a sprint. That's a lot of kinetic energy. Just to let that I've thought about this - my whole base of argumentation falls apart when someone asks me "Why don't you just run during the day?" Like I said earlier, "Kinetic energy." 3.9 miles 8:42/mile There should be some turkey day runnin' in the morrow!

No comments: